Mayor's office was involved in at least one Stanley Cup non-event

Post by Daniel Fontaine in

4 comments

stanleyparadephoto.jpg
Mayor Gregor was very involved in the planning of the parade that never happened

If you’re wondering why I haven’t posted here in a few days, it’s because I’ve been wading through reams of riot-related documents the City of Vancouver posted on their website last Friday. There was certainly no shortage of material to read through as the freedom of information staff posted what they said was the first in a series of documents to be made available to the public.

A while ago I requested through the FOI office information related to the Stanley Cup parade that never materialized. As you are well aware, in the days leading up to Game 7 on June 15th, City officials were mum regarding whether anything was being planned if the Canucks won the Stanley Cup.

As a result, I thought our readers might enjoy seeing what was happening behind the scenes in relation to the planning of the parade route.

Much to my surprise, I stumbled upon a series of emails between staff which just happen to reference Kevin Quinlan, Mayor Gregor’s media guy. He’s also known as “Vancouver Kid”.

Most recently Quinlan has been responsible for the endless number of tweets about the Mayor’s every move. Just last weekend he was even tweeting about his boss delivering some compost…well you can just guess what the opposition NPA did with that tweet.

In an email exchange between City Engineer Peter Judd and Muriel Honey regarding the planning of the Stanley Cup parade and subsequent community celebration, it’s pretty clear the Mayor’s office are in the thick of things. Judd states:

Muriel, tomorrow morning I gather you have another parade meeting. Can you please let Kevin [Wallinger] know when that will be over so that he can set up a conference call with Penny, Fire, you, jerry, sadhu, quinlan etc. The usual suspects...

Also Kevin Quinlan wants us to explore what kind of event the canucks might participate in if they don't win. We are thinking the cbc area for some recognition and keep one or both of the big screens to broadcast that to a bigger crowd. That would mean closing hamilton and probably georgia but maybe midday on Friday not during the afternoon peak. Can you connect with the canucks and cbc please and see if they might be up for that. Thanks

According the independent Furlong/Keefe report, the Mayor’s office was completely hands off when it came to the planning and execution of the CBC fan zone. It would appear the same can't be said about the parade.

Now that I’ve been able to confirm the Mayor’s office staff were involved in the Stanley Cup parade planning, I’m even more convinced that Furlong/Keefe should have dug a little deeper.

How can it be that the Mayor took a hands off approach when it came to his hastily conceived fan zone? It simply doesn't make sense. After all, this is the same Mayor that signs off on the ordering of photo copy paper at City Hall to make sure it gets done right.

The Globe and Mail, CBC and Vancouver Courier have all covered this Stanley Cup parade route story, but none have made the connection to the Mayor’s office.

Another nugget of information contained within last week’s documents was an exchange between senior city management and union representatives. It relates to their concern the Mayor's fan zone might in some way impede Canada Post workers from picketing. Clearly this would have the potential of making the Mayor's union supporters a tad uneasy: