Kudos to GlobalTV BC for making the avoidable expense of the December 8th $85,000 Inauguration bash in honour of Gregor Robertson and his Vision/COPE team on Council. The story (video link here) led tonight's evening broadcast of BC's highest-rated TV news program.
The subject of the cost of Vision's Inauguration bash was some of our first reporting when we turned the lights on here at CityCaucus Tower. The $85,000 expense we've since learned does not include staff overtime, nor are the nearly two dozen fire, police and paramedic team members present listed on the accounting for the lavish party in honour of their own electoral success.
Since Vision took the helm questions have been raised about millions in needless costs being foisted on City taxpayers:
- The Louie/Jang Firehall 15 pet project added $1.6 million in costs for a 1913 wooden heritage building only a handful of citizens, and no firefighters, actually want to spare
- $10,000,000 for the 350-seat York Theatre renovation of a derelict building in the City's industrial district
- $700,000 estimated cost for the needless sacking of City Manager Judy Rogers just months before Vancouver's largest event in over 20 years, the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- $60,000 to hire PR flacks Hoggan & Associates to spin the Olympic Athletes Village story into a Billion Dollar Blunder
- And of course the aforementioned nearly six-figure pat on the back to themselves, the December Inauguration
CityCaucus.com will continue to keep our calculators handy and pencils sharpened as we tally up the avoidable costs being racked up by this Council.